ASTM A409/A409M-01(2005) Standard Specification for Welded Large Diameter Austenitic Steel Pipe for Corrosive or High-Temperature Service
ASTM A409 specification covers straight seam or spiral seam electric-fusion-welded, light-wall, austenitic chromium-nickel alloy steel pipe for corrosive or high-temperature service. The sizes covered are NPS 14 to 30 with extra light (Schedule 5S) and light (Schedule 10S) wall thicknesses. Table X1.1 shows the wall thickness of Schedule 5S and 10S pipe. Pipe having other dimensions may be furnished provided such pipe complies with all other requirements of this specification.
Optional supplementary requirements are provided. These call for additional tests to be made, and when desired shall be stated in the order, together with the number of such tests required.
The values stated in either inch-pound units or SI units are to be regarded separately as standard. Within the text, the SI units are shown in brackets. The values stated in each system are not exact equivalents; therefore, each system must be used independently of the other. Combining values from the two systems may result in nonconformance with the specification. The inch-pound units shall apply unless the “M” designation of this specification is specified in the order.
Note 1–The dimensionless designator NPS (nominal pipe size) has been substituted in this standard for such traditional terms as “nominal diameter,” “size,” and “nominal size.”
- A262 Practices for Detecting Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack in Austenitic Stainless Steels
- A480/A480M Specification for General Requirements for Flat-Rolled Stainless and Heat-Resisting Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip
- A999/A999M Specification for General Requirements for Alloy and Stainless Steel Pipe
- E527 Practice for Numbering Metals and Alloys in the Unified Numbering System (UNS)
Finish and Repair
- Appearance. The pipe shall have a workmanlike finish.
- Defect Removal by Machining or Grinding. Defects may be repaired by machining or grinding, provided the wall thickness is not reduced below the minimum.
- Defect Repair by Welding. Defects which violate minimum wall thickness can be repaired by welding if the purchaser agrees.
- Unless otherwise specified, heat treatment or retreatment must follow repair. If the repair depth is >1/4 wall thickness pressure and nondestructive testing or retesting is required.
- Finish. Pipe will be free of scale and contaminating iron particles. Bright annealed pipe need not be pickled, blasted or have other surface finishing. The purchaser may request a passivating treatment.
|Specification number||ASTM A 409/A 409M-95a|
|Size||Nominal pipe size or outside diameter. Schedule or average wall thickness.|
|Quantity||Random or specified lengths. Total length or number of lengths.|
|Name of material||Straight seam or spiral seam electro-fusion welded austenitic stainless steel pipe|
|Grade||Selected from chemical composition table|
|End finish||Plain ends with all burrs removed is ASTM requirement. Bevelled, or other end finishes can be specified.|
|Test report||DIN 50049.3.1.B standard, or DIN 50049.3.1.C optional (3rd party witness test) at extra cost|
|Options and supplementary requirements||Refer to optional and supplementary requirements S1 to S6|